This blog was set up by Alistair Warwick in June 2015, following a long struggle trying to think about the kind of things I could possibly write about.
A wise person once wrote, “Everyone is an expert in something”. So I’m writing this in case anyone wants to read it.
And as you’re reading it, then I guess you’re pretty unique. 🙂
About meI have many years’ experience of working with musicians of very different skill levels and styles. For many of those years, I’ve worked for the Royal School of Church Music (RSCM), mainly in education (Voice for Life and Sacred Music Studies) but also in the voluntary section, supporting its work in Scotland.
Church musicChurch music experience includes 10 years as Director of Music at Arundel Cathedral, where I started the children’s choir, before supporting smaller churches. I am currently (since 2012) Director of Music at Holy Trinity Scottish Episcopal Church, in the centre of Stirling.
Music in the CommunitySince 2009 I have been Conductor of Stirling University Choir, bringing a wide range of music to student and staff members of the University, as well as a sizeable contingent of members from the community. I have worked with other choirs, including Rosenethe Singers, the Gargunnock Songsters and the Stirling City Choir.
Qualifications & Awards
- Bachelors and Masters degrees in music (Surrey)
- Certificate in Theology (Southampton)
- Colleague (CRCO) diploma from the Royal College of Organists (my ARCO is in progress)
- Associate (ARSCM) of the Royal School of Church Music, for services to music and liturgy in both England and Scotland
- Fellow (FISM) of the Incorporated Society of Musicians
Other workSince 1992, I’ve worked as a freelance music engraver/typesetter for The Art of Music. Projects (1000s of pages) include:
- The Guitar in Georgian England Christopher Page (Yale University Press, forthcoming 2020)
- Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary According to the Use of Salisbury (Stainer & Bell: Early English Church Music, 2019)
- The Guitar in Tudor England Christopher Page (Cambridge University Press, 2015)
- Piping in the Inner Isles of the West Coast of Scotland (Birlinn: John Donald, 2012)
- Hymns for Prayer & Praise ed. John Harper (Canterbury Press, 2011, 2012)
- The Christian West and its Singers Christopher Page (Yale, 2010)
- Music in Wales Before 1650 Sally Harper (Ashfield, 2007)
- Music for Common Worship (Church of England & the RSCM, 2000–2005 )
- The Play of Daniel ed. David Wulstan (Plainsong and Medieval Music Society)
- The RSCM Guide to Plainchant Mary Berry & John Rowlands-Pritchard (preliminary work; RSCM)